Handling a home water incident
After you have stopped the water, contact your Insurance Agent and a Restoration Company.
What should you look for in a Restoration Company?
- Licensed and Insured
- Knowledgably and Trustworthy
A Restoration Company’s objective is to return an area to its previous state. Professional restoration companies look to begin protecting the homeowner before any insurance reimbursement.
What to avoid:
First, avoid doing nothing. Next, avoid hiring any, Chuck with a truck or Stan with a fan.
80+% of the water leaked can not be seen. This water can create the right environment for mold and other hazards. Only trained, knowledgeable professionals will know how best to remove the water and return things to normal. Just showing up in a truck with a fan is not enough to ensure the safe removal of all the water.
Did you know, Restoration companies are equipped to recognize and handle the different types of water which need to be removed such as:
- Category 1: Clean water source
- Sink overflowed, ice maker line broke
- Category 2: Gray water
- Waterbed leak, fish tank rupture, dishwasher / washer machine overflow
- Category 3: Black water
- Sewage backup, surface water intrusion, sea or river water
Restoration companies will have specialized equipment and testing to ensure the job is done properly
- Devices for testing moisture in wood and building materials
- Low grain Refrigerant (LGR) dehumidifiers which dry the air lower than standard dehumidifiers
- Specialized equipment to ventilate hard to reach areas such as under cabinets and wood floors